The Maryland Center of Excellence on Problem Gambling (the Center), a program of the University of Maryland School of Medicine and funded by the Maryland Department of Health Behavioral Health Administration, promotes healthy and informed choices regarding gambling and problem gambling by:
- Providing a free and confidential 24-hour Helpline – 1-800-GAMBLER (Text: 1-800-426-2537) for those struggling with problems due to gambling.
- Educating the citizens of Maryland about the risks of gambling and gambling addiction through Public Awareness
- Training counselors, educators, prevention specialists, and other health care and social service providers and developing new training approaches to help individuals and their families.
- Creating a network of problem gambling capable Treatment providers by providing technical assistance to health care and behavioral health care providers and maintaining a problem gambling counselor Referral List to address the issue of problem gambling.
- Assisting individuals dealing with at risk and problem gambling through Peer Recovery Support.
- Developing and implementing Prevention and community outreach programs.
- Providing Public Policy information on strategies to address the impact of gambling on Public Health within Maryland.
- Engaging in evaluation and Research.