The Maryland Center of Excellence on Problem Gambling, a program of the University of Maryland School of Medicine, has been established to address gambling problems.
Its mission includes:
- Providing a free and confidential 24-hour helpline
- Maintaining a problem gambling counselor referral list and developing a network of problem gambling capable treatment providers.
- Training counselors, educators, prevention specialists, and other health care and social service providers and developing new training approaches
- Developing and implementing prevention and community outreach programs
- Engaging in evaluation and research
- Educating the citizens of Maryland through public awareness campaigns